How unbelievably bliss would it be to have an escape like this at the end of your garden?! I don't know where this is but I spotted this picture and just couldn't not take notice of it. The imperfections of it; the flaking paint round the windows and the door, the many cobwebs in the windows - all of this just makes it so perfect. An oxymoron really, and I do love an oxymoron nerd alert!..
I tend to believe that we all desire an escape every once in a while - to go off the grid. As a child, we used to take family trips away to secluded places in the countryside where the only phone signal you could get was by standing on a large rock in the middle of the beach - only accessible when the tide was out. We very nearly got caught out a couple of times, I must admit. The first time away was torture. Why would anyone choose to go away on holiday to somewhere so secluded? Little did we know, my sister and I would grow to adore it. It was an opportunity to escape the chaos of every day life and go exploring. It was an opportunity to pull on our wellies, get muddy, and embrace the great outdoors. It was an opportunity to go away with enough books to supply a whole library and just lose ourselves in the pages. Most of all, it was an opportunity to go away as a family and enjoy each other's company.
I hate to admit it but if we were to go away now to somewhere like we used to, I know that unplugging would be a much more difficult experience. Times have changed so dramatically over the past fifteen years since these long weekend escapes. The way everyone communicates has changed so dramatically. I will put my hands up right now and admit that my phone very rarely leaves my side, and it never ever reaches 0% charge if I can avoid it (although I'm still not very good at answering phone calls and I have absolutely no excuse - sorry Mum!). Very rarely will someone tell you their news in person these days without it appearing on Facebook or Twitter first and everyone knows what other people are doing at the click of a button.
I'm starting to ramble but the point I'm really trying to make is how important it is for us all to take a step back for a minute, put our phones away, and appreciate our surroundings.. You never know, you might just be surprised by what you see. To have a place like that perfect little summer hut at the end of the garden with the flaking blue paint would make it a lot easier to unplug but for now, I'm setting myself the challenge to find somewhere quiet and comfortable where I can take time out from everything. I'm setting myself the challenge to put my phone away each day, even if it's just for a short while, and lose myself in the pages of a wonderful book again. And with that, I'd like to challenge you to do the same.
Did you enjoy this post? You can also find me here:
No comments:
Post a Comment
I read and appreciate every comment I get and will do my best to reply as soon as possible. Thank you!