Back in 2014 I wrote a post about why I started blogging and tonight I decided to read it again and it really got my thinking about where I’m at now, almost two years later. I always find it helpful to read over old blog posts, and reflect on how far I have come. I’ve learnt a massive amount about myself and blogging over the last two years but I’ve still got a lot to learn.
STATS AREN’T EVERYTHING
It’s very easy to get all caught up in numbers and stats and admittedly I did get very caught up in all of that when I first started blogging but I’m glad to say now that it no longer bothers me at all. My blog is my little space to make my own and be myself. If people choose to read it then fab and I appreciate every single reader and love reading people’s comments on my posts. The biggest lesson I’ve learned over these last few years are that the numbers and stats do not define me, my content, or my blog, and I’m a lot happier now that I’ve realised that.
POSTS NEED TLC TOO
In the past I’ve felt the pressure to post regularly and so, for a while, my posts weren’t getting very much TLC and were written purely for the sake of regular posting. The thing is though, every post needs a little of TLC and regular posting means nothing if the post hasn’t got a purpose. More recently I’ve gone through phases of being absent from my blog while I deal with the chaos life throws my way but it is nothing to feel guilty about. Student life is stressful enough as it is – don’t add extra stress over whether you are posting every single day. Everyone needs to take a little time to breathe at some point!
INSPIRATION IS EVERYWHERE
Bloggers block is a b**ch. We all get it. But there are great posts all over the place of writing prompts and post ideas. I often use Pinterest and weheartit to give me inspiration for posts when I’m totally stuck for something to write about. Another great way to overcome bloggers block is to simply spend some time reading other blogs. I always have a ‘go-to’ list of blogs that I never get tired of reading (potentially a future post of my favourite blogs to read coming up so watch this space) and sometimes reading other peoples’ posts can spark off little ideas.
SOCIAL MEDIA IS ESSENTIAL
Up until very recently I didn’t use social media such as twitter for my blog, but then I realised how silly I was being. I set up a twitter account for my blog and use it to let readers know of new posts, to interact with other bloggers in blogger chats and even to find new blogs I might not have come across otherwise. Since starting to use twitter for my blog, my readers have increased in number (but remember stats aren’t everything!) and I’ve gotten to chat to some lovely bloggers. Don’t just stick to twitter though for interacting with other bloggers. I always try and make an effort to comment on posts I’ve enjoyed reading and appreciate when others do the same. It’s a great way to get your blog out there but also a lovely bit of motivation for the blogger behind the post.
What has blogging taught you?
No comments:
Post a Comment
I read and appreciate every comment I get and will do my best to reply as soon as possible. Thank you!
No comments:
Post a Comment
I read and appreciate every comment I get and will do my best to reply as soon as possible. Thank you!