Tonight I thought I'd tackle a slightly different blog post, but in my eyes it's a fairly important topic. As some of you may already know, this past week has been Eating Disorder Awareness Week 2015. I was scrolling through buzzfeed tonight and came across a fairly to-the-point article I wanted to share with you all. It basically talks about how society needs to change the way it talks about eating disorders. The article refers specifically to eating disorders being used as 'punch lines' or for comedy effect in television programs - I'd be really interested to hear what your views are on this one. Do you agree with the article or is there no harm in using it as a punch line?
All of us have some knowledge of eating disorders, whether it's a little knowledge or a lot, from personal experience, or from what we've seen and heard in the media. Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia Nervosa... how about EDNOS? Not such a familiar one and yet just as dangerous as, if not more dangerous than, the first two I mentioned. Anyway, all of this got me thinking about just how much we can hide behind a smile. The thing about eating disorders is that often they are hidden, and very well hidden at that. I've known several people who have been affected by eating disorders, both directly and indirectly, and each one of them have at times had to put on a smile just to show those around them that they'll be fine. We've all put on a smile to persuade people we're fine, even if all that we want to do is curl up and cry.
B-eat, a charity supporting those with eating disorders and their families and friends, published an article earlier this week called "It's Okay to be a Glow Stick". This article was written by a male who has suffered with an eating disorder and he talks about his recovery. It's not a hugely long article and so it's definitely worth a read.
If there's one thing I want you to take away with you after reading this post then it is this:
"It's okay to be a glow stick; sometimes we have to break before we shine".
For further information on eating disorders whether you suffer from one yourself or know of a friend or family member who is struggling with one then you can check out the b-eat website here for more information.
No comments:
Post a Comment
I read and appreciate every comment I get and will do my best to reply as soon as possible. Thank you!
No comments:
Post a Comment
I read and appreciate every comment I get and will do my best to reply as soon as possible. Thank you!