So I've been absent from here for quite a little while with the chaos of university and school placements but I felt it was time to come back and I'm coming back with something quite close to my heart. A lot has changed since my post in January. I've grown a lot, I'm currently preparing to graduate university and embark on a real adult adventure - scary huh!
I've seen a lot recently relating to gun crimes and the protests over in America about the best way in which to protect schools and classrooms from further gun violence. I feel really passionately about the #ArmMeWith movement at the moment - it's a beautiful idea that really needs to be listened to. Teachers in America should not be in the position that they are in right now. I feel very fortunate to be teaching over here but at the same time, those children and teachers didn't choose to learn and teach in classrooms where you have to fear the possibility of yet another school shooting. No person should ever have to face that. But for those teachers that do have to face that reality...
Arm us with compassion for the children we are teaching. A classroom overflowing with kindness. A place where children thrive in their learning and develop lasting friendships with their peers.
Arm us with smaller classes, so that every child gets the attention and support that they need and deserve - so that no child feels like they go unnoticed.
Arm us with the ability to support children who are facing struggles with mental health every day. It is still more of a taboo subject than it needs to be. We should be willing to talk openly about it. Yes, it can be an upsetting and difficult conversation to have but staying silent is not doing anyone any good.
Arm us with story books and resources so that every child gets to experience the joys of losing themselves in a book. So that every child can discover what it's like to feel like you really know the characters on the pages. So that every child can discover the joy that can be found between each page rather that staring at a screen.
Arm us with creative teaching strategies, to show children that learning is fun. Creative strategies that will engage their imaginations and allow them to take ownership of their own learning.
So arm us with compassion and kindness, books and resources, understanding and the tools we need to educate our future generation. As someone who will be teaching their own class in August, arm every teacher with support so that we can arm our children with knowledge.
Did you enjoy this post? You can also find me here:
No comments:
Post a Comment
I read and appreciate every comment I get and will do my best to reply as soon as possible. Thank you!