Things I Should Have Said Before

2 February 2017

Source
I feel like it's time for a brutally honest post from me so tonight, I want to talk about the things I should have said before - better late than never though I suppose!

I was having a really tough morning this morning and so I had a phone call with my Mum on my way to class where she gave me a little pep talk - she's such a babe! So the jist of the conversation was her telling me how proud she is of how far I've gotten and the obstacles I've overcome to get where I am. It was really a whole lot of encouragement to keep going because the struggles will be worth it in the end. However after coming off the phone with her, I realised there's a lot of people in my life that I wouldn't have gotten where I am without them. Of course my parents are included in that but I tell them that a lot and how grateful I am for their support and encouragement. However the other people I couldn't have managed without and I don't express my appreciation enough to are my friends and in particular my flatmate. She has no idea I'm writing this post but hopefully it'll be a pleasant surprise when she comes across it. So I suppose Claire, this one is for you!

Over the past three years particularly while I've been at university, it has become clear to me who my friends are and who was just there until it became inconvenient for them. I'm okay with that, I know now who those people are. I don't keep very well and when I struggle, I let everything else fall to the side and my priorities often get a bit mixed up. I'm well aware that this makes living with me not an easy task but I have a flatmate that has been so supportive and remained calm during times where she probably wanted to strangle me, has picked me up when I'm down and looked after me when I've dropped everything to the side and gotten a little lost. I definitely don't think I would have dealt so well if I were in her shoes but she also knows fully (I hope), that if roles were reversed, I would do my best to provide the same support for her as she has for me. In my mind, that is a true friend. Someone who is there for you during the good times but also when things are tough and they really probably could do without having to deal with it. So for those times you've had to sort me out and give me a kick up the butt, I thank you for that and truly appreciate it. I know I don't tell you enough. I also thank you for being brutally honest with me at all times, even if the truth might hurt. I need that. 

I have so many other friends that I couldn't have gotten to where I am today without, some of whom I see every day and some of whom there are miles between us but they're always at the end of a facetime call and I am incredibly grateful for them too.

Friendships are so, so incredibly important in life. I don't know where this quote comes from but I came across it and think it's perfect:
"As we grow up, we realise it becomes less important to have a ton of friends, and more important to have real ones."
So these are just a few of the things I should have said before, but as I've said, better late than never! I'm really interested to know what friendship mean to you guys? And what are the things you should have said before? There's still plenty of time!
Also sorry Claire for all the soppy cr*p!


Did you enjoy this post? You can also find me here:
 bloglovin | twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read and appreciate every comment I get and will do my best to reply as soon as possible. Thank you!