Love Thyself

17 January 2017

Source
If I’m being completely honest, loving myself is something I find incredibly difficult and I’d imagine I’m not the only one. I try and persuade myself that my Netflix binges are just a way of showing myself some love when really they’re a way of wallowing in self-pity but trying to disguise it as being busy. I make the decision to go for a nice relaxing bath where I’ll shave and moisturise my legs and come out feeling absolutely wonderful… but by the time I get in the bath, I can’t be bothered with all the faff of shaving my legs let alone moisturising. So I’m here today to talk about the importance of showing ourselves a little bit of love every once in a while.

Life gets hard sometimes and I find myself just wanting to curl up and feel sorry for myself, but it’s times like these that I could do with a little checklist of ways I can show myself a little love and lift my mood up. The last thing I want to be doing at the time is actually trying to think up ideas. Had a bad day? Bad case of PMS? Or even just feeling a little stressy and not even sure why? Try and show yourself a little love!


+ Take a bath
Add a lovely smelling bath bomb, a little candle and relax. Don’t vow to yourself that you will shave your legs and moisturise because that doesn’t do wonders for your mood if you lose the motivation as soon as you get in the bath. Prop up your laptop with a few episodes of your favourite Netflix series or a couple of chapters of a good book, or even just pop on some music and a face mask and close your eyes. 

+ Go for a walk
Getting some exercise is a great way to boost your mood and show yourself some love. I always find that a nice walk, no matter how long or short, always helps to clear my head. Wrap up warm and head on out. Taking photos of your wander too can be good fun. 

+ Take up a new hobby
Who doesn’t love discovering a new skill or taking up a new activity? Over a year ago I started sewing and I love it. I now have my own sewing machine away at university with me and I love having the freedom of experimenting and creating whatever I wish out of fabric. It’s even got to the point where I sell some of my things on etsy – not necessarily to earn money but because I’m running out of space to store everything I’ve made! Scrapbooking is also something else I love spending time doing. Going through old photos can be interesting – you never know what beauties you might come across!

+ List the positives
This is probably the hardest out of all of them but we spend so much time focusing on the negative things in our lives and the things we want to change that we completely overlook the positives in our lives and the things that make us who we are. Write them down. List the positives and then when things really suck, you can go back and read them. It’s an activity I always find really difficult and quite uncomfortable but give it a go. You won’t know until you try it.


Most importantly, just give yourself a break! We really are our own worst critics. How do you show yourself a little love? I want to be happier this year and start loving myself more – who’s with me?! 



Did you enjoy this post? You can also find me here:
 bloglovin | twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read and appreciate every comment I get and will do my best to reply as soon as possible. Thank you!